Tuesday 8 February 2011

Nan Goldin

I decided that I should look at a different type of portrait photography and one of the most obvious people to look at in that field is Nan Goldin. Reading up on her work she is more of a documentary photographer then portrait but with this it opens up a whole different side of this project. What she captures and does so well is show grit, as good as the portraits are they you can’t deny that they are very gritty, showing the ever dangerous and unknown underworld. Unlike a photographer like Martin Parr she aims to capture the people she documents close and personal, and a lot of the time the portraits are relatively simple, like Thomas Ruff she has eye contact and has the body facing the camera as well and apart from img 04 they are all passport portrait in frame which is pretty unique and for what she is doing works very well. I think that there could be a problem with my work and that is that with me going to be using lenticular I may struggle shooting on location with having a busy background. You never know and if I can feel that a shoot is work it may be a great new outlook for this project but somehow I don’t think it would work as well as being in a studio.


'Emotions and Relations'

No comments:

Post a Comment