Wednesday 16 February 2011

Boris Mikalov

To look at a completely different style of photography that often incorporates portrait photography I decided to look at Boris Mikalov’s book looking into the break-up of the soviet-union. His work is primarily documentary however with him documenting homeless people a lot of the time he is taking portraits and some of the time relatively posed. Out of a lot of the work that I’ve looked at from many different artists, his is the one that just has a strong emotion feel about it, as it’s a strong topic that he is focusing on. Also, the people that he is photographing are not most normally of looking people. This is something that has got me thinking, so far with me only doing the one photo shoot I’ve not even contemplated that kinds of people that I will be wanted to use in my pictures. The reason why I choose to use a girl was because of the facial hair and a more easier to work with face however now looking at it a man with a beard may work, or a girl with a lot of make-up on might work equally as well. I’m certainly going to have to have a big experimentation when it comes around and try and get a large amount of different faces. Looking back at Mikalov’s work it might even be good to look at people with something extraordinary about there face, even just basic stuff like a bent nose or possibly a wonky eye, nothing like the extremes that he has captures but maybe a water downed version.
Overall I really like Mikalov’s work, looking through his book even I have to admit that some parts are pretty hard to look at however in my opinion that’s what makes his work so great, it think it would have been interesting to get some of the people into a more stages studio however it might have changed the way that they act.


Case History

No comments:

Post a Comment