Tuesday 15 February 2011

Man Ray Re-visited

I recently happened to stumble across a Man Ray book of his portrait photography and I thought it would be good to re-visit his work. Now straight away I know that the work of Man Ray is not at all what I’m going to be doing however he is such an iconic person he is hard to ignore. Whilst looking at his work I find it hard to figure out exactly what it is some of the time, you would think that it portrait photography however in come example I wouldn’t know if it is. For example img 02/03 the target’s eye line is of camera, but not like it’s on purpose, and it’s almost as though Man Ray is documenting the people some of the time. I guess it’s because he was kind of in unknown territory but a lot of his pictures almost seem like photo snaps, which is odd, as these pictures will have taken more setup. Unfortunately I can’t really take anything from looking at Man Ray as photography has come on so much since his time however I still like to just look at his work and think just how much he has achieved.


Man Ray's Paris Portraits. 1921-39

No comments:

Post a Comment